Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Strawberry Jam


Hello!! My name is Elizabeth and I am good friends with Katie. I have been a viewer of cooking with cuties since it started!! I feel honored to get to post on here!! WOO HOO!! I love to cook and try new recipes... I have a blog called The Stone Family Blog, if you want to check it out...

Some friends and I went to a local strawberry patch to pick berries. It was a lot of fun and pretty reasonable for fresh berries (1.75 a lb.) I took my cutie Henry and we saw Sarah (Katie's sister) there with Jack and Noah. Henry tried his first strawberry and loved it!



Because the berries were so ripe, I decided to make jam with them because there is no way I could eat them all before they went bad. I have never made jam before so I looked for the easiest recipe I could find.

Here it is!! Strawberry Jam recipe
Ingredients:
2 lb fresh strawberries, hulled
4 cups of white sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice




Directions:
Crush strawberries in batches until you have 4 cups of crushed berries.

In a heavy bottomed saucepan, mix together the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a rolling boil. Boil, stirring often until the mixture reaches 220 degrees.



Transfer to hot sterile jars leaving headspace in the jar and seal. Process in a water bath. If going to be eaten right away, dont process, just put jars in the refrigerator.
Footnotes: To test for jelling, place three plates in the freezer. after about 10 minutes of boiling, place a tsp of liquid jam on plate. Put back in freezer for one minute. Run your finger through the jam, if jam stays seperated, its ready for canning!

Henry watching his mama make Strawberry jam!
Review:
This was such a fun jam to make. Each process did not take too long and I was able to hang out with Henry and get other things done while making it.

I was not familiar AT ALL about how to process and can jam. Looking back that is something I would have researched before getting started. I think I did it right but felt a little unsure of what I was doing.

The jam tastes great. It is pretty dark red, which I dont really like.. but it has a yummy taste and flavor... good texture and very easily spreadable without being runny.
I ate the jam over scones last night with my sister and friend. They both gave the jam a B+... I think thats what I would give it too... a good jam, but I cant give it an A.

I got the jars for $1.85 a piece at the glass barn in Reading. I plan to give the jam to my neighbors.

4 comments:

Katie said...

YAY Elizabeth! I love this post! I'm so glad you shared. I am so impressed with you making jam! You are an amazing momma. The pictures were great. Henry is too cute!

Lorren said...

Hi Elizabeth! I'm so glad you're joining us! Your little Henry is adorable, by the way! I'm glad you chose to do jam, because I have been wanting to do it this summer, too. We went strawberry picking a few weeks ago, but we ended up eating ALL the strawberries and I never got to make any jam. We'll have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

Joelle Turner said...

Oh, Elizabeth I'm glad you said this is easy! I've been wanting to make Jam for years but have been so intimidated. We haven't made it to the strawberry patch yet this year but I hope to soon. We went last year and it is one of my favorite summer memories but we just haven't been able to make it work this year. Now that I know how and that its easy I will pick lots more than we can eat so we can make a couple of batches of jam!

I'm glad you posted and hope you share some more yummy recipes with us. Henry is absolutely darling -- post more pictures with him. :o)

Elizabeth said...

thanks girls!! :) you guys seem so fun! Lorren and Joelle I feel like I know you two because of the fun stories I hear from Katie. Hope you are having a great week. Love, E