Saturday, June 26, 2010

Biscuits and Gravy

So I have to be honest. I have always kind of been grossed out by biscuits and gravy, but Cole loves it! So I decided to try the Pioneer Woman's recipe for biscuits and gravy for Father's Day. It was actually pretty simple! She uses canned biscuits, so it's much simpler, and it was actually pretty good... horrible for you... but good!
Here's the recipe...
Ingredients:
1 lb. breakfast sausage
1 can (16oz.) canned biscuits
2 Tbsp. flour
1 cup milk
salt
pepper
Slice the sausage and cook until cooked through and drain on a paper towel. Then cook the biscuits according to directions on can.
Use the grease left in the sausage pan to make the gravy. Add flour to the grease until it thickens, whisking constantly. The pioneer woman took the grease out of the pan and added a little and then added flour until she got a good balance between flour and grease, adding one or the other until you're happy with the consistency. Let the gravy brown a little in the pan.
Then add your milk. This is another step you have to kind of feel out. It looks like mine is a little too thick, but I was scared of losing the sausage flavor. I probably could have added more milk though. She has step by step photos that you can look at to know how it should turn out. Add salt and pepper to taste. Now you're ready to pour it over your biscuits! And that's it!
So here's the finished breakfast tray. Even though I know it's one of the worst things you could eat, I'd probably make it again- very rarely- as a special treat for my husband. He loved it!!

2 comments:

Katie said...

hmm, i don't know if i can be sold on biscuits and gravy, but it's very very nice of you to make it for cole! great pictures!

Caroline and Ken said...

Oh, Lorren, I applaud you for making Cole's favorite breakfast for Father's Day. Your tray looks like a celebration. I hope Cole felt treasured!