Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Breakfast Broccoli Frittata


This recipe is from the book Superfoods Rx by Steven Pratt. I just finished reading the book last week. If you haven't read it, I really recommend it. It's so interesting learning about the health benefits of these 14 "SuperFoods." It has changed the way I think about eating, and you'd be surprised how many you already eat. It's fun to try to squeeze even more into my meal planning. I think Brent is probably sick of hearing me talk about it! Anyway, this recipe features broccoli, which is one of the SuperFoods. Here it is:

Breakfast Broccoli Frittata

2 medium potatoes, sliced into 1/8 inch rounds (I only needed one)
1-1/2 cups broccoli florets (I used frozen)
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded, ribs removed, and chopped (I used orange - another SuperFoods sidekick!)
1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded, ribs removed, and chopped4 large omega-3 eggs
1 cup 1% cottage cheese or fat free ricotta (I used ricotta)1/2 tablespoon fresh dill or 3/4 teaspoon dried dill (I used parsley)
3 tablespoons Asiago or Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray pie plate with olive oil spray (I used canola oil spray).
2. Lay the potato slices in a single layer in the bottom on the pie plate. Cut the remaining slices in half and arrange them around the sides of the pie plate. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
3. In a large saute pan sprayed with olive oil spray, saute the broccoli, onion, and bell peppers for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add a tablespoon of water if needed to prevent sticking.
4. In a mixing bowl, beat together the eggs and cottage cheese. Stir in the sauteed veggies, dill, and half the grated cheese. Add the egg mixture to the pie plate and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the egg is set. Sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese and return the frittata to the oven for a minute or two to allow the cheese to melt. Cut into wedges to serve.

Here are the potatoes on the pie plate. I cut them into even smaller wedges to fit in the empty gaps.


Sauteed Veggies


My helper Cuties: Brent is beating together the eggs and cottage cheese and Walter is just looking cute (and licking everything in the dishwasher).


The egg and veggie mixture:


Browned potatoes


Ready to go in the oven. I didn't have dill so I just sprinkled dried parsley on top. I don't think this added enough flavor...more later. I also put the cheese on top for the whole bake time instead of just at the end...oops.


The end product:


The review: This recipe was just ok, I didn't love it for two recipes. First, I just don't think I'm that crazy about making egg dishes with potatoes. I would rather eat just quiche. Second, I don't think I got the flavoring right. It tasted a little bland, which I think was my fault since I didn't have the main seasoning. I meant to pick up some dill, but I forgot. And I just sprinkled a tiny bit of dried parsley on top instead. So there wasn't much seasoning at all. It would definitely be better with some salt and pepper, or the dill or some other seasoning. Brent liked it more than I did, but then he has to say that, right? :)

That same night I made another recipe from the book - Golden Door Blueberry Bread. I thought this was very tasty. Super dense, and healthy - blueberries, bananas, whole wheat flour, orange zest, no white sugar. I definitely recommend this one!

1 comment:

Joelle Turner said...

Oh, I've got to get that book! And the girls loooooove broccoli, glad to know its a superfood! I think I knew that (dad used to be on a "superfood" kick) but had forgotten. They also LOVE, LOVE, LOVE "Papa's favorite" which is blueberries. We have been eating a lot of Papa's favorite around here lately so I'm going to have to get that bread recipe and try it. Do you know any other good healthy cooking books? love you! Can't wait to see you next week! Oh, we should make a dinner together for CWC!! Fun, fun!