Saturday, May 8, 2010

Broccoli Chicken Divan

Well, I planned to make something a little more impressive this week but with a SICK child, it just didn't happen. Plus, this recipe turned out to be super yummy and a HUGE hit so its worth recording!

Since I didn't plan on this being my CWC recipe, I don't have any pictures of my darling children eating it, but just know they were chowing down!



I made this with a rotisserie chicken. I just pulled all the meat off, chopped it up and put it on top of the broccoli. The broccoli we bought fresh at the Saturday Market downtown. We were back this morning and I picked up 2 more bunches so we can have this for dinner one night this week and so I can leave one frozen for my mom to eat with the girls next week.... while she is babysitting.... while David and I are out of town.... on a cruise! Yea! First time away by ourselves since we became parents. I can't wait!

Anyway, back to the recipe. It came from allrecipes.com. You can find it here. It was a winner. I don't know if it would be something I'd make often if I wasn't also trying to please 2 little girls. But it got them to eat their veggies without any prompting so I know it will be a new regular in our house.

Broccoli Chicken Divan
  • 1 pound chopped fresh broccoli
  • 1 1/2 cups cubed, cooked chicken meat
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of broccoli soup
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoons dried bread crumbs
Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
  1. Place the broccoli in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
  2. Place the cooked broccoli in a 9 inch pie plate. Top with the chicken. In a bowl, mix the soup and milk, and pour over the chicken. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese. Mix the melted butter with the bread crumbs, and sprinkle over the cheese.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly brown.

3 comments:

Katie said...

looks yummy! i forgot you and david are going on a cruise! that will be awesome! i didn't make a CWC recipe last week. i didn't really cook with brent being out of town. plus i'm waiting for lorren and mom to get on the ball :) i will make one this week though!

Lorren said...

I made this for dinner tonight. I used canned chicken and frozen broccoli (I know, it loses a lot of it's appeal, but it's what I had). And it turned out great! I'd actually probably make it like this again just because it was one of those meals that I could decide to make at 6:00 and have on the table by 6:30. And Savi loved it! She clapped between bites and asked for seconds- sounds like a 5 star rating to me!

Caroline and Ken said...

I tasted it! It was sooooo good! Chicken Divan has always been one of my favorites but this was really good! You kids (Joelle, Lorren and Brent) always liked Chicken Divan. I remember serving it on the Cabbage Patch plates and the McDonalds plate and we'd play "I spy."