Friday, May 21, 2010

Blueberry Caramel Pecan French Toast


Last night I made this Blueberry Caramel Pecan French Toast. I got the recipe from a Cedarville Alumni magazine - apparently some professor at Cedarville made this for her students every year at a Christmas party (I never had her). But I thought it sounded good so I cut out the recipe and saved it. I love making breakfast things but I never make them in the morning, so sometimes I like to do breakfast for dinner.

Here's the recipe:
Blueberry Caramel Pecan French Toast


Texas toast, cut in half

5 eggs

2-1/2 cups milk

1 cup packed brown sugar, divided

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup butter, melted

2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries


Arrange a single layer of bread in greased 9x13 inch baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, 3/4 cup brown sugar, vanilla, and nutmeg; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for eight hours or overnight.


Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Sprinkle pecans over egg mixture. Combine butter and remaining sugar, drizzle over top.


Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with blueberries. Bake 10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.


I started the french toast in the morning since we were having it for dinner and it needed to sit in the fridge for 8 hours. Here's the bread with the egg mixture poured over it:


I forgot to take a picture of the butter/brown sugar topping that you put on before putting in the oven (we omitted the pecans). But here's the french toast after cooking for 25 minutes, before adding the blueberries:


And after another 10 minutes in the oven - the finished product!


The critics (yes, Joy is drinking Smirnoff with her breakfast):


I thought this french toast was really good. It was easy to put together, but still a little special since it had the blueberries and "caramel" topping. I would definitely make this again, although I think I still like my Creme Brulee French Toast better (that one will be in the second Tastebook!). But everyone thought it was yummy and went back for seconds. That's success in my book!

3 comments:

Lorren said...

That looks delicious! I loved your other French Toast too, but this one looks like a good one to switch it up every once in a while. I'll have to give it a shot. That looks more like a dessert than a dinner though :) That's always what I want for dinner anyways! YUM!

Last Paradise said...

Ooh Ooh, Can I do a CFC recipe??? I have a really yummy one that is seasonal- ready to go now!!! Love checking in on you cuties :)

Last Paradise said...

Oops, I mean CWC- I was thinking 'cooking FOR cuties' ;)