Friday, May 15, 2009

Week 4: Bourbon Glazed Salmon (Katie)

Happy Friday, girlies! I made this salmon last night for Joy (since Brent's been out of town, it was the one night this week I actually made dinner). Here's the recipe I used:

Bourbon Glazed Salmon

Adapted from Cooking Light, September 2001

1 cup packed brown sugar
6 tablespoons bourbon
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 garlic cloves, crushed
8 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick)
Cooking spray
4 teaspoons sesame seeds
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions

Combine the first 8 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; add salmon fillets. Seal bag, and marinate in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, turning bag once. Remove fillets from bag. Put remaining marinade in a small pan and simmer for at least 10 minutes, reducing the sauce until it thickens.

Preheat broiler.

Place fillets on broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil 11 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Drizzle some of the reduced sauce over each filet, and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds and 1 tablespoon onions. Serve warm.

Yield: 8 servings


I really like salmon. It's so simple! When I make it, I usually just marinade it with some raspberry or strawberry balsamic dressing and it is yummy! This was a good change though, and still pretty easy. I would definitely make it again. The only changes I made were to cut the marinade ingredients in half and to use 1/8 tsp of ground ginger instead of fresh. Oh and I didn't put seasame seeds or green onions on top.

The bad thing...I did have an abnormally tall piece of salmon, and it got a little close to the broiler. So the top got pretty scorched! Nothing that couldn't be picked off...but it didn't make for the best pictures. Here's what it should have looked like:


Fancy, huh? Here's mine:


Oops, I guess I should have had it on a lower rack...

Anyway, looks don't matter, right? It's all about the taste. My first bite, I didn't think it tasted that different from my regular marinaded salmon. You could just barely taste the brown sugar and bourbon. The original Cooking Light recipe said to throw away the marinade, but the adapted one I used had you cook and reduce the marinade into a sauce. And boy am I glad I did! That sauce was delicious! I wouldn't eat another bite without it - and a lot of it.

Here's Joy pre-first bite (ugh, check out that black top!).


We both decided that as far as salmon goes, this was delicious. For a fish recipe, I would give this 5 stars and a solid A. But out of all the main dishes in the world, it was just above average (what can I say, we're chicken people). Ratings:

Joy: 3.5 stars, B or B+ (wishy washy, huh?)
Katie: 4 stars, A-

I actually did really like this, especially with that sauce! I'd even call it one of my favorite all time seafood recipes, because really, I only have few (the raspberry balsamic salmon and I just found a catfish marniade that was really good). I'd even put this in our Best of 2009 Tastebook, and that says something!

Hope you all have a great weekend! Can't wait to see you in PA in two weeks!

4 comments:

Joelle Turner said...

Yum, yum, yum! I want to try your recipe!! Too bad they got a little black, but its like you said, its all about the TASTE and it sounds like these were delish!!

Lorren said...

Katie, I was so glad to read that that first photo was not yours! I got very intimidated! I'm glad it turned out well. I'm really interested in trying it. Hopefully I'll make mine soon!

Joy said...

the salmon was pretty good i must say. I finished mine and was picking the meat off of my burnt pieces and Katie said "you can finish mine if you want since you are trying to get every last piece of yours" and i did! yay for good recipes on Cooking with Cuties and yay that i get to experience most if not all of them!!!

Elizabeth said...

I was not included in the "Cooking with Cuties" taste testing.. but I give this recipe an A+++. It was so delish. I want to make it sometime soon.