Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Chocolate Intesity (Lorren)

This cake was fun to make. I like that it wasn't just a dump and bake kind of cake. I used a spring-form pan and didn't really have any problem with it. It was hard to get the metal disk off the top of the cake when I inverted it and I ended up taking a chunk out of the cake, but because of the fudge-like texture, I just scraped it off the disk, dumped in on the cake and smoothed it together with a knife. You couldn't even tell it happened! I did get a little lazy at the end though and just poured the ganache over the top instead of taking the time to make it look pretty.
I also found that this was a really hard cake to take photos of! They either came out looking too light or too dark. The actual cake was hard to capture.
The first bite of this cake tasted almost like peanut-butter and chocolate. Weird, because I followed the directions exactly and used coffee. Cole said the same thing after his first bite. The second bite was pure chocolate! This was such a rich cake! I did use semi-sweet chocolate instead of bitter-sweet. This might be the reason it was SO RICH!
Cole is a chocoholic and even he had a hard time finished the whole piece! It definitely needed a full glass of milk! His rating ranged from a 5 to an 8 depending on how much he had eaten. He did have a second piece today, but just a sliver. That was about all either of us could handle at one time. It really was good, just extremely rich! I'm not a huge chocolate eater, so I'd probably give it about a 6 too. It was a great recipe, I probably would just use bitter-sweet chocolate and maybe add milk to the coffee like Katie did to try and tone it down a little bit. The texture was really creamy. I liked that a lot. When I eat a piece now, I have to eat it with milk and strawberry slices (kinda tastes like chocolate covered strawberries- Yum!)
Another note: Cole and I were both wide awake around 2 am. Not sure if that was a coincidence or the big pieces of cake we ate at midnight :) Next time I'll eat it a little earlier in the day!

2 comments:

Katie said...

haha, i love that last picture of cole! i bet this was a very different cake with semi-sweet chocolate - i thought the bittersweet was pretty rich! the slice picture of yours is beautiful! yum yum...maybe i'll go get another piece of mine now :)

Joelle Turner said...

Hey, is Cole in his boxers in these pics?? :) Sorry you didn't love the cake like I did. But good job on it, it turned out great. And, I LOVE your cake stand!!