Thursday, May 14, 2009

Chocolate Intensity Cake (Joelle and Mom)

Well, I thought I'd have a chance to get with mom so we could do this post together, but it just hasn't worked out and I don't want to waste any more time! We made our chocolate cakes for Mother's Day dinner.

Joelle's Cake:


Mom's Cake:


We both made slight changes to the recipe. I used almond extract instead of coffee because I don't care for the taste of coffee and chocolate together and since Katie said the coffee taste was a bit strong, i thought I would try this. Mom baked hers a little differently. She can edit this post to give her details but I'm pretty sure she cooked the chocolate with the butter and I know she did something different with the eggs, too.

Because of the changes Mom made our cakes had a very different texture. Mine was more fudgey and Mom's was closer to a cheesecake. They were both very good!

You can tell the different textures in the pictures below. The first cake is mine, the second is moms, which says "Happy Mom Day" on it. She tried to do as the instructions say and put some chocolate in a bag to pipe a design on top but her chocolate was too warm and kept running together. Note to self: don't put the chocolate in the microwave.



In this picture, the closest piece of cake is mine, Mom's is closer to the whipped cream and strawberry.


And here is a picture of each of us enjoying our cake.






I don't have a picture of Lyla actually tasting the cake because she was much to busy picking moms flowers with the root still attached and placing them in her rocking chair. But, she wears the evidence of her "bites" on her chin!


We talked about the "grades" we would give the cake and they pretty much both got an "A". David and I preferred mine better and Mom and Dad liked Moms -- appropriate, right? At first Dad gave mom's an A+ and then took the plus back because he said her texture wasn't what he was expecting. And mom took one bite of mine and said "Ew, I hate raspberry with chocolate" and I told her it was almond, not raspberry and she said it tasted like raspberry and wouldn't take another bite, so, I got an F from her, but I'm not counting that because obviously she doesn't have very good taste. :) But, interestingly... Dad thought mine tasted like it has raspberry in it too, whatever it was, I LOVED the taste, it was right up my alley, which is why I made it according to my taste. Either way, it was delicious.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Joelle, you have SUCH beautiful pictures of the cakes! Looks like a professional baking blog :) Very interesting how the two turned out so differently. I would really like to try yours with the almond...how much did you put in? I'm trying to figure out why mine looked so much lighter...maybe because I used coffee mixed with milk?

Katie said...

i think mine had a different texture because i let it cook too long...it wasn't really jiggly when i took it out. i bet this is a cake that turns out different every time you make it!

Joelle Turner said...

You might be right, Katie. I really loved the texture of my cake, it was just what I was hoping for -- which never happens!! You mentioned mine was darker than yours -- I also added milk, because I was worried the tablespoon of almond wouldn't be enough moisture since the original recipe calls for a 1/2 cup of coffee. I kinda added a lot of almond and would probably add a bit less next time but I didn't know how powerful the chocolate would be. It still had a delicious taste, but as David said "it wasn't a hint of almond", which is what I was going for. Maybe thats why it tasted like raspberry. I don't know. But this recipe sure is a keeper! I think it will be my go-to recipe for company. And I think it would be delish with raspberries on top! Which I had bought but went bad before I could use them!