Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Lorren's Apple Bread Pudding


So, I decided to try a different recipe for bread pudding, since the first two reviews weren't great. I got a recipe for Apple Bread Pudding from allrecipes.com. Here it is:
  • PUDDING
  • 4 cups soft bread cubes
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 2 cups peeled and sliced apples
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 3/4 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup margarine
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs, beaten

  • VANILLA SAUCE
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup margarine
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 7x11 inch baking dish.
  2. In a large bowl, combine bread, raisins, and apples. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 cup brown sugar, 1 3/4 cups milk, and 1/4 cup margarine. Cook and stir until margarine is melted. Pour over bread mixture in bowl.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and eggs. Pour bread mixture into prepared dish, and pour egg mixture over bread.
  4. Bake in preheated oven 40 to 50 minutes, or until center is set and apples are tender.
  5. While pudding is baking, mix together sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup milk, and 1/2 cup margarine in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat, and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Serve over bread pudding.

I made the vanilla sauce and poured it over the whole thing for the last 20 minutes of cooking, because others had recommended it and it was starting to look a little dry in the oven. I think it made it a lot more moist. It was pretty easy to make and the verdict... not bad! It kinda reminded me of my recipe for caramel soaked baked french toast. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to fixing myself another bowl after I finish this post.

Savi was so excited about trying her hand at being a "taste-tester". It was right up her alley.Thinking about it...And wanting more! She ate about 3/4 of the bowl happily and then was done.

So ratings? I think Sav and I agree on this one. We give it 4 out of 5 stars. A letter grade of B+. Cole hasn't tried it yet, but he's a chocolate guy. My guess is he won't like it much for dessert but would love it for breakfast!

6 comments:

Joelle Turner said...

Great review, Lor, BUT OH MY GOSH! That first pic of
Savi, after you told her she gets to be a taste-tester! Hilarious!!! It hardly even looks like her. Its one of my fav pics of her ever.

And, I think I'm going to have to try your recipe. Glad you tried something new!

Katie said...

that's a lot of bread pudding! i'm glad you tried something new. i think the vanilla sauce is a great idea. if i make bread pudding again, i would definitely use that. interesting that it said to put it on while cooking...

the pictures of savi are adorable! love you!

Garret said...

Hands down, my new favorite blog...after Jack & Izzy of course.
The girls are soooo cute!

Joelle Turner said...

These photos of Savi are terrific!! Who cares about the bread pudding? The bread pudding DOES look and sound really good, though.

Joelle Turner said...

The last comment was from Dad Kruithof, not Joelle... as is this one!

Brent said...

I agree with Joelle. That picture of Savannah is priceless. What a smile! Love you all!